Looking Back at Weather Challenges and Surprises in Nebraska

Managing Crop Moisture

We completed harvest, finishing up on November 5th. Usually I like to be done by Halloween, but we didn’t quite make that date this year due to some wet corn issues, but we weren’t too far off track. A few weeks back, we were running some irrigated corn through the dryer, and it was anywhere from 19-25% moisture. In the middle of October we were dealing with wet corn issues. Likely that was because of the recent rains and wet weather in late August. Now we’re starting to deal with some ear mold issues, and it’s something we’re keeping an eye on. Luckily it has slowed with the cooler weather.

I think the biggest challenge we faced this year was the weather. We were ridiculously hot during pollination time, and it just didn’t allow the crop to fully pollinate. We also had wet conditions in the early season that gave us some stand issues, and then we had a fungus come in and drop down our plant count quite a bit. So with the weather, we started out wet, got dry in the middle, and were wet again in late August.

All in all, we’re pleased with the outcome of the crop. Our soybeans were just slightly above where I anticipated them to be. They were not over-the-top bin-busters, but they were better than anticipated.

 

Surpassing 300 Bushels Per Acre

Corn has been up and down. The dryland corn actually has been surprising us — I think we had 1.7 total inches of rain in the months of June and July. We were anticipating 30- to 40-bushel dryland corn because of that, but somehow the numbers are hovering right around 100–120 bushels. So that corn is below what we might normally get, but it’s above what we anticipated. On the irrigated acres, I had one AgVenture hybrid that had us excited with all sorts of 300 bushel numbers in some areas. In other areas, it’s fallen a little below expectations, so we’re either really good or a little bit disappointed on the irrigated corn.

I’m looking forward to finishing harvest and analyzing what we could have done better