We’re ready to plant now, but we just can’t. We are saturated — we’re so in the mud, no one’s even thinking about trying to plant. We have some beautiful days — 75° and sunny, but then the rain comes; we can’t get a long stretch of dry weather. So at this point, we’re not getting terribly late yet, but we’re itching to go.
It was kind of like this last year — We had stretches of wet, then we’d get a three-day window where we could plant like crazy, but then we’d get rained out again. Last year was tough to begin, but there were days in there that we could get going, which was about this time. The earliest corn I planted was on March 20 last year. But the year before it was the 10th.
The AYS Difference
My AgVenture Yield Specialist Wayne Dulaney is doing good. We just had a whole meeting about our cropping plan and he’s actually going to look at some burn-down stuff, and we’ll meet again Thursday. We got burned out on 90 percent of our acres, but the rest is up near houses, so we’ll have to go in with something different. This is the time of year where Wayne and I are talking at least every two or three days. He’s also been helping us determine what the plan is — are we going to try to spray behind the planter, or are we going to try to get something up in front of it? And of course he’s helping with our chemical selection — he’s been getting us to change to liquid P & K working with a place in Louisiana, so when this thing finally does break, we are ready to get rolling.
As for the cropping plan, he’s been helping me adjust to the way the market’s reacting. We picked up a good bit of ground, and at first, the plan was to put in a lot of beans just to keep costs down. But we went through three different cropping plans and decided to switch from corn to beans on ground that is better suited for it. We changed the plan a couple of times, but I think we finally have a final deal. And that’s kind of the way it’s always been with he and I. We have a plan, but nothing is set in stone until the planters roll. But at least it gives you an idea of what to look at and what’s going to work and what’s not.
Finding the Right Variety
Wayne’s been suggesting some great varieties that will work on our ground. We’re working on dryland corn, and he actually brought some stuff to me that’s been in the pipeline for quite a while. We tried a little bit of it last year and it worked real well, so we’re going with it again this year. We’re also trying to take advantage of maturity in our bags of corn. God bless the Louisiana farmer, but if he doesn’t get any corn planted, at least not til real late, we may see a premium on the seed market early. So instead of going with the full-season, 119- or 121-day variety, we’re switching to 108s and 110s just to take advantage of what may be an early premium.